Deleting photos on your Mac should be really easy. But sometimes you can be confused. For example, when you delete a photo in Photos or iPhoto, has the photo actually been deleted from your Mac’s disk space? Is there a more convenient way to delete photos to free up disk space on your Mac? It can sometimes happen that even after deletion, we find that the photos that we deleted are still on the Mac.
In this article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about deleting photos on Mac, and then we’ll walk you through a more convenient way to clean up your Mac’s hard drive to free up disk space. FonePawMacMaster is software that will let you remove photo caches, duplicate photos, large photos or videos, etc. to free up disk space on your Mac.
How to delete photos from your Mac’s hard drive
Delete Photos in Photos will only delete photos from the main folder of the Photos Library. But there are many more images in your hard drive that are not imported into Photos. To delete photos from Mac, you can browse all the folders with pictures and videos and delete the ones you don’t need, or you can just use FonePawMacMaster. This tool can detect duplicate images and large photos/videos on your Mac to free up space on your hard drive. If you need more free space, MacMaster can also clean up unnecessary system files such as caches, log files, email attachments, app data, etc. to give you even more free space.
Delete duplicate photos on your Mac
- Install and launch MacMaster on your computer.
- Enter the “Tools” section. Select the “Similar images” function.
- Select a location to start searching for duplicate photos. To remove duplicate photos from your entire hard drive, select your computer’s system drive.
- Click on “Scanner”. After scanning, select all the duplicate photos that you want to delete and click “Clean”.
- The duplicate photos will be deleted from your hard drive.
Clean Photo Cache from Photos / iPhotoLibrary
The Photos or iPhoto library creates cache files over time. But you can delete photo cache with MacMaster. Follow the next steps to do this:
- Open MacMaster.
- Click “Master Scan”> “Scanner”.
- Select the items of “Photo Cache” and click “Clean”.
How to Delete Photos from Photos / iPhoto on Mac
Apple hasn’t integrated iPhoto into Mac OS X since 2014. Now, most users have migrated from iPhoto to the Photos app. Remember to delete the old library from iPhoto after moving your photos in the Photos app so as not to waste your storage space.
Deleting photos in the Photos app on your Mac works the same as if you deleted photos in iPhoto. More and more users are using the Photos app on macOS, so here’s how you can delete photos from Photos on your Mac.
Delete photos on Mac
- Open the Photos app.
- Select the photo (s) you want to delete. To select multiple photos, press the Shift key, and select the photos you want to delete.
- To delete the photos/videos you selected, press the “Delete” key on the keyboard or right-click, and select “Delete XX Photos”.
- Click “Delete” in the pop-up window to confirm the deletion.
Note: Select photos and press Command + Delete. This will allow macOS to delete the photos directly without asking for your confirmation.
Another important point to note is that deleting photos or videos from Albums does not necessarily mean that the photos will be deleted from the Photos library or your Mac’s hard drive. When you select an image in an album and press the Delete button, the photo will simply be deleted from the album but its file will remain in the Photos library. To remove a photo from the album and photo library, use Command + Delete or right-click on it and select “Delete”.
Delete photos permanently on Mac
The macOS Photos app has a “Recently Deleted” library that stores the photos you deleted for 30 days before you permanently delete them. This feature is very useful because it allows you to recover deleted photos if you want to get them back. However, if you want to immediately free up disk space on your computer by deleting photos, then you won’t want to wait 30 days. Here’s how you can permanently delete photos in Photos on your Mac.
- Open the Photos app and go to “Recently Deleted”.
- Check the photos you want to delete permanently.
- Click on “Remove XX items”.
Some users reported that after deleting the Photos library, they did not notice a significant change in the amount of free space on their computers when they clicked “About this Mac”. If you are in the same situation, don’t worry. macOS takes a little while to delete the entire photo library. Stay patient and check your free space amount later. You will see that it has increased well.
This is how you can delete photos from your Mac. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them in the comments section!