One of the most important features of the new iPhone 7, 7 Plus is its dual camera. This allows us thanks to the 2x optical zoom and the wide-angle lens to get images with the background out of focus, it is portrait mode. In the article below you will get a how to get portrait mode on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus
Portrait mode is still in beta in iOS 10.1, but will soon come out of the trial version and be available to everyone. In the meantime, you can use some other app that does the same effect, and you can even do it on any iPhone other than the iPhone 7 Plus.
How to blur the background with any iPhone
In the App Store, we find a series of apps that perform a bokeh effect or a simple blur of the background of a photo. Of all of them, the best option of all (for the results it offers) is Tadaa SLR which you can download for $4.65. Here are two examples of what you’re capable of:
Here are the steps you need to take to get the effect of Portrait mode with Tadaa SLR:
- Open Tadaa SLR and choose a photo from your image gallery
- Turn on Mask and Edges and with your finger start drawing on the elements you don’t want to blur
- When you stop drawing Tadaa will “perfect” the edges of what you’ve drawn to best fit the element
- If you want to improve the effect yourself you can zoom in on the image and draw more accurately the mask on the edges
- Press Next at the top right of the screen
- Choose the type of blur you want to apply, it is best to leave the default blur and not modify these settings
- Tap Apply at the top right
- Add if you want effects, cut the image or modify brightness and contrast, then tap Save
As you can see, the result is quite surprising and very similar to the one that gets the iPhone 7 Plus with Portrait mode. The problem is that Tadaa SLR uses only software to get the blur, so it will be more difficult for you to detect some edges.
Where more difficulty you will encounter is in people and especially in people’s hair. However, the result remains very decent.